Friday, August 11, 2006

Protector Guardian



I recently took a Myers-Briggs typology test just for fun. According to them I am a Protector Guardian. The first thing that popped into my head when I read that was an image of Mushu. Then I read the description of Protector Guardian. Some of the characteristics are: service to others, seeing to their safety and security, high developed work ethic, etc. That doesn't sound much like Mushu.

Now, I don't put a lot of stock in these tests, but it got me thinking about my personality, strengths and weaknesses, and my role as a wife, mother, and Christian. God wants me to be a protector guardian, not because some test says that's what I am, but because His Word says I should be.

Protector Guardian for my Husband:

  • Protect my relationship with him by being loving, submissive, and putting him first (Eph. 5:22)
  • Protect my time with him by making him my top priority and always being there for him (Phil. 2:3,4)
  • Protect his happiness by not nagging or having a bad attitude (Prov. 31:26; Prov. 12:4)
  • Pray for him (Col. 1:9)

Protector Guardian for my Daughter:

  • Protect her spiritually by teaching her about God, salvation, and morals (Deut. 6:5-7)
  • Protect her emotionally by providing a stable, safe, happy homelife (Eph. 6:4)
  • Protect her future by preparing her for the real world when she grows up (3 Jn. 1:4; 2 Tim. 3:14,15)
  • Protect her physically by taking care of her when she's sick or hurt and making sure she has everything she needs every day (Prov. 31:15,21)
  • Pray for her (Heb. 13:18)

Protector Guardian for my Home:

  • Make it a refuge where my family feels safe and are happy to come home to (Prov. 31:10-31)
  • Create a pleasant atmosphere that is cheerful, comforting, warm, and positive (Prov. 14:1)
  • Manage my home well and take care of it (Tit. 2:5)

Protector Guardian for my Friends:

  • Be a good friend (Prov. 18:24)
  • Be encouraging and honest (Prov. 12:25)
  • Be there in good times and in bad (Phil. 2:4)
  • Always have a listening ear, but keep confidences (Prov. 27:9)
  • Be forgiving (Prov. 15:1; Eph. 4:32)
  • Don't gossip or slander (Prov. 15:28)
  • Pray for them (Eph. 6:18)

Protector Guardian of my Relationship with God:

  • Spend time in His Word, studying it and applying it to my life (2 Tim. 2:15)
  • Pray without ceasing (1 Thess. 5:17)
  • Serve Him (Ps. 100:2)
  • Tell others about Him (Mk. 16:15)
  • Trust in Him for everything (Prov. 3:5,6)
  • Be a good testimony (1Tim. 4:12)
  • Do everything for His glory and to please Him (Col. 3:23)

I take my role as 'Protector Guardian' seriously. I certainly don't want to be like Mushu. His motives were all wrong. He wanted to protect Mulan so he could gain honor and glory and put himself on a pedestal. God looks at our motives and I will be held accountable in heaven for all that I do on earth, and for my motives. So instead, I want to be a servant, like Christ, doing but asking nothing in return; putting others first and giving God all the glory and honor. When others look at me I hope they never see a Mushu, but Christ.
Heb. 13:17; Col. 3:17,23-25; 2 Cor. 5:9,10

2 comments:

weedeater said...

Good stuff! Reminds me of when I first came across your web.... :)

Heather said...

I like it Vin. These are some really good thoughts