Sunday, February 24, 2008

Celestial Wonders

Reading Heather's blog post, "Contentment on a Moonlit Night", stirred some nostalgic memories in me. Watching the eclipse of the moon was just the beginning of our delights in God's celestial wonders.

Who needs fireworks when God puts on a brilliant lightning display?

Try outrunning a storm with the rain beating down right behind you.

Watch a gorgeous sunset from high in the branches of a flamboyant tree. The most talented artist could not create anything more colorful or beautiful.

Invite your friends to a night around the campfire, complete with shooting stars... and deliver. Don't forget to make a wish!
What can compare to the amazing star-studded skies of Africa?

How comforting to look out the window of the plane and see a perfectly round rainbow with the shadow of the plane in its center. God promises to watch over us.

All of these things I experienced with delight and wonder. Since I have left Africa it seems I am too busy to notice the wonders of heaven I once enjoyed. Too long has it been since I gazed at the stars, watched an entire sunset, and marveled at God's amazing handiwork. I have forgotten to look up. As the Psalmist says, "When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained; what is man that Thou art mindful of him?" "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth His handiwork." Look up!

4 comments:

weedeater said...

Flock o' turtles! :)

Heather said...

I remember the rainbow. Hey--did you steal the moon picture from my blog?

Rambling Rose said...

Yes, I stole the moon picture from your blog. :)

valerie said...

Honey,
I can read the poet in your soul. What a beautiful blog. I can remember all those events like it was yesterday. It's great how your childhood experiences have impacted you as adults.
Love,
mom