Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Other Woman

The Other Woman

There she was, Amy Gerstein, over by the pool, kissing my father. My mother had only been dead for two years. Who did this woman think she was trying to worm her way into our family? What was my father thinking? Didn't he love my mother? I looked away, filled with anger and grief. Two years didn't heal the pain of losing a mother. Watching them, I felt like he was cheating on his spouse. And it wasn't the first time. I couldn't stand the last woman he'd dated either. That's why I always secretly sabotaged his relationships. It had only taken two weeks to get rid of the last woman, but this time would be much harder. He seemed to like this one a lot more. I needed a good plan. I needed to dig up some dirt on Amy.

After a lot of searching on the Internet I found an interesting tidbit. Amy had an ex-husband who was a drunk. I had to track down this Mr. Gerstein and learn more. I found him in the Terminal Bar and Grill. He was sober, for a change. I played it cool as I walked up to him and started a conversation. I had to use my fake ID to get in. It wasn't hard to get him to talk. I was good at manipulating people to get what I wanted. When I found out he still wanted Amy and what a jealous man he was it only took a few well chosen thoughts planted in his head. He was putty in my hands.

A few days later Amy disappeared. My father, distraught, reported her missing. The police searched for weeks. They finally found her body buried in her ex-husband's back yard. She had been strangled.

After a lengthy trial Mr. Gerstein was convicted of murder. I had attended the trial, and even testified. As they led him away, I allowed myself a small smile. Amy was gone. No one would ever know the part I had played.

This is another Writer's Toolbox story.The sticks I drew were:
1.
There she was, Amy Gerstein, over by the pool, kissing my father.
2.
Watching them, I felt like he was cheating on his spouse. And it wasn't the first time.
3.
I found him in the Terminal Bar and Grill. He was sober, for a change.

No comments: