Friday, October 27, 2006

Morning Bird

I woke up early one morning
The earth lay cool and still
When suddenly a tiny bird
Perched on my windowsill.

He sang a song so lovely
So carefree and so gay
That slowly all my troubles
Began to slip away.

He sang of far off places
Of laughter and of fun
It seems his winsome tweeting
Brought up the morning sun.

I stirred beneath the covers
Crept slowly out of bed
Then gently lowered the window
And crushed his little head.

I am not a morning person.
I don't know who wrote that poem but I like it. No, I would not harm a little bird that woke me early in the morning with a sweet song, though I have been tempted to let my husband get rid of the birds who unceasingly tap on the outside of my bedroom wall at the break of dawn every morning. Generally I do like birds. But I am not a morning person.

1 comment:

valerie said...

crushed his little head!!!??>?!!! Poor little bird, poor little fish, an animal has no chance wiith you. And youn were so gentle as a child. You adored the cat I prayed would run away,cried over the shrew in Africa who had to go cause he was eating my carpet, and wept over the mouse that was killed by the cat we rented in Africa. Africa's rent a Cat. What happened to my little girl?