Friday, December 29, 2006

Violin Prodigy or Just Enthusiastic?

My daughter loves the violin. She has wanted to learn to play the violin just like her Aunt Heather since she was 2 years old. This summer she received her very own 16th violin. She was so excited. She immediately took it out of the case, went up to Aunt Heather, and said, "I want to play the bumblebee song." She was referring to Flight of the Bumblebee. Then she proceeded to move the bow rapidly across the strings, screeching horribly. She was completely convinced that she had played the bumblebee song.

Whenever my sister comes to visit she gives my daughter violin lessons. She already knows all the parts of the violin and bow, the names of the strings, how to hold the violin properly, and can pluck strings on command. She is just starting to learn how to hold the bow properly.

Soon I want her to be able to take real lessons and maybe someday she will be a great violinst. One day when she learns to really play Flight of the Bumblebee I will have to show her a video of her first attempt at age three.

No comments: