Friday, April 06, 2007

The Voice of an Angel

The lights dimmed, a hush fell over the crowd. Instruments started playing behind the curtain and a deep voice filled the place, seeming to come from everywhere. As he sang, the curtain slowly rose revealing a band and a small orchestra on a beautiful hardwood floor. Cheers erupted as Josh Groban rose up through the floor, his powerful voice crescendoing. I sat on the edge of my seat feeling the music with every part of my being. I was speechless. All I could think was “wow!” No words could describe what I was feeling. I had never heard anything so beautiful. His voice is so rich, pure and dynamic, and he sings with such expression and passion.

The first time I ever heard of Josh Groban was a few years ago when my husband told me to listen to this song on the radio because the guy had an incredible voice. So I listened to him sing “To Where You Are” and was very impressed. However, as I listened to the voice the first time I pictured an older fat man, kind of like Pavarotti. I was quite surprised when I saw his picture and he was a young good-looking man. He soon became my favorite singer.

For Christmas, my husband surprised me with tickets to a Josh Groban concert. I was so excited and finally, last Wednesday, we got to hear him live. It is an experience I will never forget. He was really funny, especially when he tried to dance and got distracted by the chicken dance. I enjoyed every song and held on to every note.

There was a violinist that caught my attention too. She was very good. At one point she played a solo. The music was pretty but I couldn't help laughing at her expressions. She looked very angry and seemed to attack the music as she played (which was fitting to the music she was playing). I leaned over to Stephen and asked if her boyfriend had broken up with her right before the performance. She looked like she was trying to kill someone.

As the concert ended, I sat quietly trying to absord the memories, his voice still ringing in my ears. It was the best concert I have ever been to. He really has the voice of an angel.

Thank you so much, Stephen, for taking me to the concert. You are the most wonderful husband in the world. And don’t be jealous, I think you are more handsome than Josh and I like to hear you sing too. He may have an incredible voice, but you have everything else, including my heart.



1 comment:

Heather said...

yes, I do faithfully read your blog even though I never comment.