Friday, September 26, 2008

What's the Magic Word?

Yesterday I volunteered in my daughter's kindergarten class. I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of my old job. For the most part the children were delightful and very polite. During recess I sat at a small picnic table watching the children and chatting with them. Then I met a little boy who stood out from all the rest. He plopped down on the bench next to mine, flung his foot on the table in front of me and demanded, "Tie my shoe" in a very obnoxious voice. I was slightly taken aback by his tone after talking to all these polite children. I replied, "Excuse me? Could you ask me nicely?" He said, "No, we don't talk nicely at my house." I told him, "Well, that's not going to get you very far. People won't want to help you if you don't ask nice." He demanded several more times that I tie his shoe for him, refusing to be polite. Each time I told him that I would be glad to tie it for him when he said "please". Finally, he kind of glared at me and grudgingly said, "Please tie my shoe for me." It wasn't quite the response I was looking for but I gave him credit for for saying please and smiled at him as I tied his shoe.

I feel sorry for the rude little boy who hasn't been taught even the basics of courtesy and politeness; who lives in a place where "we don't talk nicely at my house."

Colossians 4:6 "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."


No comments: